Above the horizon.
- Publication date
- 16mm Film, Educational Film, Meteorology, Geophysics, Weather and climate Meteorology, Meteorology, Weather and climate, Meteorology, Weather and climate
- Ward's Natural Science Establishment PO Box 92912 Rochester NY 14692 USA (800)962-2660 (716)359-2502 http://www.wardsci.com/
- Digitizing sponsor
- Internet Archive
- Internet Archive
Also issued in super 8 mm
A view of the field of meteorology. Describes interrelationships, potentials, and unsolved problems of the atmospheric sciences. Includes effects of solar radiation, current research on general circulation, numerical forecasting, hurricane reconnaissance, satellite meteorology, and weather modification
Reports on current circulation research, numerical forecasting, satellite meteorology and weather modification. Shows the effects of solar radiation on the earth and its environment. Part of a series on meteorology.
- 2015-02-20 18:50:59
- A bank cumulus cloud a warm August afternoon. Like. This plane operating from a weather research base in Montana is about to perform an experiment on a clown. It used to be a shrewd observation that everybody talks about the weather but nobody does anything about it is no longer true. The plane is spreading a trail of invisible chemical smoke. Millions of tiny particles of silver iodide produced by the burners under the wing. Air currents will sweep the particles up into a clown. Where is conditions are right they will trigger the transformation of Minuit water droplets into Krystal Tobias. In the dry air of this after gnome with a cloud a smaller this one the crystals are blown away by the wind like dust before. The end substantial pageant of the sky fades into thin air. We have learned a great deal about the atmosphere we live in the camera speeding up the movement in the sky above reveals restless forces. Instruments tell us of jet streams of fierce winds circling the globe are above the clouds we see. We live at the bottom of a turbulent ocean. Scores a mile deep. And what we see from below is just a small part of an atmosphere which Condon driven in the complex movement by the energies of the nearest star ninety three million miles away. The sun. Which streaming out from the heart of the solar system are many different kinds of images. Sometimes when there are solar storms its own gaseous substance is a jack that into space as clouds of particles. And always steadily. Pause for a light heat out of Violet raise radio waves. Almost all these forms of energy. Affect the atmosphere are distant. When clouds of solar particles stream toward our planet. Some of them according to the magnetic field. And form enormous number list envelope detectable only by instrument probes far out in space. Sometimes these particles are pulled in by the earth's magnetic poles and meet with the tenuous top most layers of the atmosphere making it glow with the flickering light of the orange we occasionally see a hundred miles above. The lowly auroras the earth's thickening atmosphere becomes a shield under which human life can flourish. In this question of their every day hundreds of tons of meteoric debris burn up by friction before reaching the earth. And if we drop from this altitude in a long arc down toward the earth and had special powers of sight we could see many different layers within our atmosphere protecting us from the harmful electromagnetic radiation of the sun. Layers that tell her out the longer ultraviolet rays that filter out that's right. A layer of ozone without which enough shortwave alter violet radiation would reach the earth to destroy almost all life. Gradually as we near the earth's surface the light from the sun is scattered by denser air and fine dust turning blue of the sky about. All the energy of the atmosphere receives from the sun on a clear day about two thirds get through to shine on the lands and seas of. The earth in turn hate the air and then heating it stares into the tiny eddies and global patterns we call the weather. All creatures in time of learn to adapt some out of the earth the normal range of heat and cold and wet some drive. Through clothing and shelter and we make our compromises with the weather. Oh it was a success. It's not surprising that when humans meet the first thing they talk about is the one. Who's. The joy of a crisp and sparkling winter day. The inconvenience it sometimes causes. You. To remember catastrophism weather and climate. The drought and wins in the third is a turn ons of America into a dust bowl. When one has some of the turns with corn on rushing toward you know when e of training before the onslaught of harming. The the lid is the for the it was. This airplane is handing toward a hurricane. It's cruel when a technician the members of the hurricane hunter Squadron of the U.S. Navy. Why should my final argument. They go basically to measure its position size pressures. Relaying back information that will enable weather forecasters to give an accurate warning system media tungsten a meteorologist to predict the time us tomorrow will be a lovely day for a picnic. To give advice the same a million dollar cross. Broadcast a warning that will save a thousand lines. From the radar screen the coming hurricane is seen as a twisting spiral driven by her wishes with. A mission to break through the core of the storm to its center on. Plans are sometimes start to really damage during their mission to date only one crew last. Name. Bring. The eye of the Sept of a common final a hot dry air. Wheeling clubs. Where will the storm go from here. To predict the media all it just must understand the processes and patterns in the atmosphere. Photographs taken by a satellite camera traveling a hundred miles above the sea. Reveal the total that. Came Debbie coming into view below off the coast of Florida. But a great hurricane is only a small part of the constantly changing patterns formed by enormous energies and into play in the atmosphere. After passing the outer rim of the hurricane. Only a few minutes by space camera always tropical air moving over a vast cool ocean current is producing a solid white bank of cloud on far it. Extends all the way to the coast of Africa and then Clear skies over Morocco at ground level. Sizzling heat. Scientists are gaining a more precise understanding of the causes of these phenomena. Here for example they are artificially creating global weather patterns for study. What they call familiarly the dish pan is a flat model of the northern hemisphere. Ice is placed in the center court to simulate the pool heated outer rim of the equation. When dropped into the water between and the pan rotated. Patterned image. These patterns are like the bast currents in the earth's atmosphere which carries heat from the equator. And bring back cool air toward the equator. Without this constant heat exchange the tropics would become unbearable a heart the polar regions on endurable it cold. These currents moving between hot and cold for the petals on a flower. And if we look at the rotating panel through a camera turning of the same rate we see a shape astonishingly like the patterns on a weather map of the northern hemisphere. It is possible to make another kind of model of global circulation. At the U.S. weather bureau in Washington and elsewhere. Scientists are developing mathematical analyses of the weather. Questions are put in a form that can be handled by a computer. Digesting millions of bits of weather information from all over the hemisphere point Carol our fact bag down and then all of the computer County later prediction. A. Mathematical prediction of weather is now routine the contours printed out by the computer are translated into the familiar wavy lines and colleges we see in the daily weather map. As men have come to a deeper understanding of the forces of the atmosphere it was inevitable that some dream of changing. An infinitesimal bit of the atmosphere in one experiment a few thousand cubic feet a condensed vapor. Oh my God they're in Yellowstone Park. Bridger twenty below zero. They have suspended in the guy's a clown the balloon supporting a string impregnated with a special Exposed. Countless droplets of moisture has been transformed into minute glittering ice crystals. On this morning they have created a halo around the sun. Investigating the detailed nature of such processes is the president of the possible control of some of the harmful aspect of the weather. The time may soon come when men will be able to say yesterday we prevent of the hail storm today we stop the lightning. By means of cloud seeding that Mr Excitement is trying to find out if brain can be brought on prematurely in the clouds of a threatening thunderstorms. If it can it might also be possible to reduce the destructive lightning discharges at the height of the storm. Now for the warning to be under the protection system. Going to the frequency and types of lightning strokes of see the land and see the storm statistical analysis will tell of any significant modification has taken place. That was. Printed and they can adjust. Your disability. All right you're easily back. Right. We sell their. Own eyes research in the Antarctic. Air pollution work in England. Parent climate research in Africa. The atmosphere is being studied all over the world and we are gradually learning the true nature of the forces which surround. As man continue to explore space. And they find no treasure anywhere. Like their own earthly environment their atmosphere. They're grossly weapon. For a more beautiful complex and fascinating into place of natural phenomena. The. The.
- Run time
- Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.1
- Lasergraphics ScanStation
- Worldcat (source edition)